Stoke City and former Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam has urged Ross Barkley to leave Everton and "go and express himself".
The former Anfield man believes Barkley could play for a top four club and needs to get away from Merseyside.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5Live Adam said: "Everton fans hate me anyway, but for me he is 23 he needs to see what options are out there.
"He could have any option at the minute.
"Man United, Arsenal Chelsea. I think he's good enough to go there. Maybe not Tottenham because Alli is playing so well. But he has been linked there. He needs to get out the city and go and express himself."
Speaking during the same programme last night former Blackburn Rovers striker Chris Sutton claimed Barkley has been "tapped up" while discussing the 23-year-old's contract situation.
"Let's get it right, he has more than likely been tapped up," he said. "I reckon he has been tapped up and that's why there's a situation over this contract.
"It happens to us all.
"Why wouldn't he sign? The financial situation, they could come to an agreement. There's a reason. His agent has been in talks with someone."
Discussing Ronald Koeman's ultimatum that Barkley should sign a deal or be sold, Adam said: "He is putting pressure on the player to sign because he knows the punters will not be happy with that."
- Ross Barkley arrives at training after Liverpool 0:47
- Poetry In Motion Podcast (12th April 2017)40:42
- Conor McGregor sends video message as Glen McAule0:35
- Virgil van Dijk: All You Need To Know0:57
- Luis Longstaff trains with first team squad ahead1:44
- 90 minutes with Sir Martin Broughton89:07
- FORMER LFC CHAIRMAN MARTIN BROUGHTON PODCAST - We1:10
- Who is Bassala Sambou? - Everything you need to k0:55
- Gini Wijnaldum goes undercover to record brillian5:59