Benitez made the trip ahead of Newcastle United鈥檚 clash with Sheffield Wednesday after forming a close bond with Liverpool fans during his time in Merseyside.
The Magpies boss left his commemoration at the memorial this morning and will return to the ground later for the game, reports the Newcastle Chronicle .
The 56-year-old, who still has a family home in Wirral , has remained a strong supporter of the Hillsborough Family Support Group since leaving the Reds in 2010.
Shortly after his departure from Liverpool FC he donated £96,000 to the group to help support the families who lost loved ones at Hillsborough on April 15, 1989.
Last April, Benitez welcomed the verdict of the Hillsborough inquests, which found that the 96 Liverpool fans who died were unlawfully killed - while he also paid tribute to the 鈥渄ignity鈥?of the families during their 28-year campaign for justice.
- Borussia Dortmund bus blasts injure player Marc B0:45
- Boris Johnson: Syria chemical attack offers Russi0:58
- The scene on Scarisbrick Road, Norris Green after0:19
- Garth Crooks' team of the week analysed0:58
- Passengers shocked as police violently drag docto0:28
- Love Activists occupy bank in Birkenhead0:39
- Tim Cogley floral tributes0:21
- New text message scam0:31
Speaking 12 months ago, Benitez said of the verdict of the Hillsborough inquests: 鈥淎fter so many years fighting for justice I am really pleased to see the verdict today, which confirms what we have been saying for a long time.
鈥淚 am especially pleased for the families of the 96 who have sought justice for so long and with such dignity, as well as for the people of Liverpool and for football fans in general.
鈥淗opefully this verdict today will ensure that this kind of tragedy can never happen again.?/p>